EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT JFS
Jewish Family Services of WNC, located in Asheville, NC, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit agency providing case management, mental health counseling and other social services to people of all faiths, races, color, ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, age and ability. Knowledge of Jewish culture, values, and traditions is preferred for all employment positions.
To apply for a position, email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com No phone calls, please.
NOTE THE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
Jewish Family Services of WNC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Employment as well as participation in programs is open to all regardless of faith, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, country of origin, age and ability.
JFS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The JFS Board of Directors is currently searching for excellent candidates for the Executive Director position, to replace the current Executive Director who is retiring at the end of June 2019. Below is the full job posting— please note carefully the special contact instructions for this position!
Position Purpose/ Posting
Jewish Family Services of Western North Carolina, Inc. (JFSWNC) seeks to hire an Executive Director (ED). The ED is integral to leadership and development of mission-driven services and programming at JFS and is ultimately accountable for the successful achievement of JFS’s vision, services and mission.JFSWNC, a community-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization headquartered in Asheville, NC, provides caring, professional services to individuals and families of all faiths in the Asheville/Western NC area and is committed to excellent outreach and service to our community and advocacy for the vulnerable.
JFS services and programs include: the Elder Club Group Respite Program; Case Management, Resource Coordination, and Information & Referrals; Mental Health Counseling; Caregiver Support; Jewish Community Chaplaincy Services; a Food Pantry; Holiday Kosher Meal Deliveries; Family Consultation on Issues Related to Aging; Administrator of WNC Jewish Federation Keren Ami Funds to Assist Jewish Households for Emergency Needs; WNC Local Administrator for the Jewish Educational Loan Fund; Friendly Visitor Program; and many Volunteer Opportunities.
The ED reports to the JFS Board of Directors and is responsible for the development, administration, and control of all aspects of the operating budget. The ED is responsible for fundraising, management of personnel, staff development and all agency operations.
The ideal candidate will have conceptual, strategic and tactical management experience and will be able to manage multiple projects at all times. The ED will display leadership qualities as a visible, involved member of the community. The ED will have a true passion for the JFS mission and will utilize analytical thinking and strategic planning to identify and address community needs and lead the agency into a strong and sustainable future.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree strongly preferred (Clinical, Social Work or related degree)
- Minimum 5 years proven management/leadership experience in a not-for-profit organization with supervisory responsibilities for professional staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate staff, Board, and community.
- Strong relationship builder with Board members, staff, and community partners, including the local Jewish community and organizations as well as with other local non-profit and social service organizations.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible, delegate appropriately, and manage multiple efforts simultaneously.
Knowledge of organizational management and governance principles.
- Proven track record of successful development and management of programs, services or organizations.
- Strong background and knowledge of Jewish lifecycle experiences, culture, traditions and community life.
- Highly developed technology skills and knowledge
- Significant fund development experience, including successful grant writing track record.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational & Board Responsibilities
· Serves as the liaison between the Board and Committees of the Board to fulfill the requirements and directives of the Board
· Keeps the Board informed about current resources and financial status of JFS as well as financial trends, potential problems, and opportunities that may affect financial status in the future
· Insures that volunteers are properly trained, knowledgeable and skilled in serving JFS programs and the community, and to support continuity of leadership
· Assists Board officers and committee chairs to identify and select individuals for specific roles as officers, Board members and committee volunteers
· Assists with development of meeting agendas in consultation with the Board President, provides staff support and attends JFS Board meetings
· Submits quarterly, year-end, and as needed program reports to JFS Board
· Supports and works closely with JFS Board committees and attends meetings as needed
· Maintains and enforces agency policies and procedures
· Works closely with JFS finance committee, develops draft of annual budget for committee and Board approval, and works with Staff Accountant to present monthly Financial Statement and cash flow reporting
· Identifies and keeps Board members informed on changing community trends and needs
· Articulates a vision for JFS and supports strategic thinking and implementation.
· Assists Board to develop and update strategic and long term planning and prepares JFS to meet the challenges and opportunities of change
Public & Community Relations
· Serves as liaison and works collaboratively with secular, Jewish, and other faith communities and agencies
· Fosters communication and relationships in the Jewish community and advances understanding of JFS services in the general community
· Participates in and provides leadership to relevant local professional organizations, including the Buncombe County Aging Coordinating Consortium (ACC)
· Works closely with the Marketing committee and other designees to develop, implement and keep current a marketing plan, website, brochures, flyers and other print and electronic communication
· Provides information and oversight to staff responsible for managing the website, enewsletters, bulletins and other agency publications as needed
· Attends meetings, supports activities, and represents JFS interests at the Jewish Leadership Collaborative of WNC, and at other pertinent WNC Jewish organizations
· Communicates community and client needs to, and collaborates with the Rabbis, congregational leadership, and others involved with the welfare of the Jewish community
· Serves as primary spokesperson for JFS
· Works closely with Fund Development committee, potential future capital campaign committee and JFS Board on development, implementation and monitoring of fundraising plans
· Plans and participates in fundraising activities, with committee support, to fulfill agency budget needs, through significant grant research and writing, annual “Friends of JFS” fundraising campaign, annual “JFS SpringFest” and other fundraising events, sponsorship development, and ongoing donor development
· Works with committees to identify new strategies for cultivating potential contributors, increase the number of donors and grow total donations
· Consults with Board and committees to identify new sources of funding
· Communicates, promotes and strengthens Board and committee understanding about emerging community needs and the financial resources required to fund those in need
· Maintain financial integrity through fiscal oversight and administration of agency budget and adhere to fiscal and financial policies
· Oversee and approve purchasing of supplies, equipment and all organizational purchases
· Develop, implement and oversee procedures, systems, forms, databases and all agency electronic and paper records
· Provide oversight for all JFS services and programs
· Work with JFS Board, Program, and Finance & Operations committees, along with JFS staff, on strategic planning for program development, including business plans for new program initiatives
· Provide guidance to case management, clinical and program staff for best practices in program management
· Direct families and individuals to appropriate staff, programs, and agency resources
· Responsible for all hiring, training, and evaluating of staff and independent contractors for all JFS programs
· Update and maintain job descriptions for all JFS positions, and define duties and responsibilities for all employees
· Provide administrative supervision and support to all professional and office support staff to ensure knowledge of and compliance with all applicable federal, state and local health & safety regulations, best practices, and ethical and legal program standards
· Provide support, supervision and consultation to program staff for case management, mental health and other agency services, and consult with Clinical Supervisor as needed.
· Develop, manage and motivate a positive, team-oriented staff
· Maintain excellent customer service standards for all staff
Located in North Carolina’s scenic Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville is consistently highly ranked for livability. It’s one of the most popular visitor destinations in the Southeast, is known for a vibrant arts scene, historic architecture, including the vast 19th-century Biltmore estate, remarkable beauty, and being a great culinary destination for award-winning restaurants and extensive outdoor activities. Its historic, vibrant downtown is filled with galleries and museums, and in the nearby River Arts District, former factory buildings house scores of artists' studios.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
For full consideration, please email all items below, combined into one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A cover letter describing your qualifications for this Executive Director position, including your specific interest in leading Jewish Family Services of WNC.
2. A current CV or resume.
3. Three professional references, including names, contact information, and their relationship to you.
References will not be contacted until a candidate has been notified and has agreed.
Notice of Criminal Background Checks will be provided, and all job offers are contingent on passing a Background Check after an offer is made and accepted.
All inquiries and interactions with potential candidates are kept in strict confidence.
The Board of Directors plans to have this position filled by May 2019.
Jewish Family Services of WNC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Employment as well as participation in programs is open to all regardless of faith, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, country of origin, age or ability.